I have learned so much from my internship. I never realized that even though it is a corporate environment, nothing will get done without a group effort. I am excited and dissapointed to learn this. It is great to be able to work with people and not be totally on your own facing every difficulty that comes your way, but it is also very hard to be productive with 20 different opinions.
I also learned that though hard work does pay off, it is not always acknowledged or responded to. If someone wants something done and you do it, and they do not approve it, it is ok. All you can do is your best and take everything one task at a time. Sometimes people will frusterate you, but sometimes they won't!
I would not work in this specific industry, but I do love marketing. I hope that my new job will give me more opportunity to be creative and spread my marketing wings with less restrictions and more opportunity. I also realized it is hard to be successful if you are jumping into a situation already in over your head. My supervisor had a very difficult time without someone guiding the way for her and it was hard for her to get anything done or approved.
It was definitely a positive experience and I am glad I got a lot of work experience out of it and a lot of relationships through networking.
Although your internship might not be your ideal position, it sounds like you learned some valuable lessons. I agree with you that although hard work is not always (in fact it is rarely) acknowledged it is worth while. And yes, sometimes people will frustrate you and other times they will surprise you. Congratulations and Good luck with your future endeavors.
ReplyDelete